Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Out with the Old

Well as the year of 2014 wraps-up let's take a really long and intense look at all the trends we've so blindly followed...





1. Crop Tops: Yes, yes, yes I've been a victim too so I won't really blame anyone but this one, this trend, I'll completely blame on the Celebrities with their perfect tans and full lips and washboard abs!
Crop tops are said to be a quintessential part of street style...I partially agree, but is it really necessary? Not at all!
The thing is not all of us have a washboard stomach or a good pack of abs to show-off, and when you walk into a cafe wearing a crop top so wrongly matched its a horror to the eyes of everyone who's vision span you get into. I'm not against the trend or trend-followers, but there's a way to pull it off which no one can really do without investing a good load of time and money.
Crop Tops were a huge hit, but I think we've reached the saturation point and should probably move on to better trends.




2. Mirror Sunglasses: Oh! How thankful I am to not be a blind trend-follower. I always hated them but I do know a few people who pulled it off really well!
The thing with mirror sunglasses is that there is a way and a time and a place to wear it, you can't just pull on any leather jacket and expect the glasses to compliment your outfit, No. These glasses were made for lighted occasions where the reflective surface would blend rather than stand out like at the beach or for a garden party or pool party... you usually wear colours like white or any pastel shade to accompany it.
When you wear it on the street with just any outfit you look retarded. Yes, very retarded. So better to forget the painful attempts of rocking the mirror sunglasses...

 (does this idiot rock the look? comment :P)

3. Boyfriend Jeans: Well I do own a pair, they're extremely comfortable and look tolerable but the limit was crossed when stores started selling broad fit deserted ankle-length jeans! Like, no. I won't look like a street urchin even if I get featured in Vogue for it.
People can pull it off really well but being a girl (not gonna even get into a guy's mind) I believe flaunting your butt is something very feminine and would beat boyfriend jeans anyday! I am so inclined towards discarding my not-so-slim-fit jeans but apparently I'm restricted for shopping anymore so I'll just stick to them for a while.
I really really want to try slim fit ankle length denims like the ones Anushka Sharma so chic-fully ricked in her latest movie PK. She looked adorable!


4. Extra Fringing: I love love love fringe! I just bought 2 Bags with fringe and I can't wait to show it to you in an up-coming Dubai Shopping Haul!
But I draw the line when it comes to extra thing full fringe skirts/ dresses. I don't want to chiggy-wiggy with you.
Adding detailed fringes like to accessories on at the hem of a dress makes sense, but doing an overall is just an eye-sore!

5. Nails: I have noticed girls obsessing over nail-art too much over the past 2 years and yes, I've done it too! But I hate too much detailing or a cluster of ideas on one nail! Leave your hands alone for once!
I would suggest plain colours, different colours of the same colour scheme on each finger, french manicures, glitters, splatters, abstract, animation.
I would not suggest too much marbling, too much abstract, horrible glitter, wrong colour scheme, wrong nude shades, cream nails!
Keep it simple, it shouldn't look like you tried to hard for your NAILS...but do attend to them and don't go hoyden!


The main aim of any trend is to bring uniqueness in something common. Aztec was a huge hit and will continue to be so because it's an effortless print that goes along well with everything. Going Monochrome is another trend being followed since black/white movies. The reason these are timeless is because they are easy but when there are new trends around you, you have got to take a pause and think if it will really suit you enough. Why pay for something that makes you feel bad for yourself? We already have free low-self-esteem for that!

My tip for the upcoming year is to set your own trend whilst you follow the ones around you, try new things but realise quick enough if it's working or not.

You shouldn't look too much or too less, just yourself.

Would you like to be a trend-setter? Mail me your ideas on my email ID and I'll feature your ideas with credit!




No comments :

Post a Comment